Learning Targets Nuclear
- I can identify elements as stable or unstable based on the ratio of protons to neutrons.
- I can recall that all elements 83 and above are unstable.
- I can compare the penetrating power and masses of alpha, beta & gamma as they are emitted during nuclear decay.
- I can balance nuclear decay reactions with the use of Table N.
- I can define transmutation as the changing of one atom to another through the change in atomic number.
- I can differentiate between natural and artificial transmutation.
- I can identify and define fission and fusion reactions.
- I can comprehend that nuclear reactions convert mass to a tremendous amount of energy.
- I can list benefits and risks of fission and fusion reactions.
- I can identify radioisotopes that are used for medical use as well as dating.
- I can define half-life as the amount of time it takes for ½ the mass of an unstable radioisotope to decay naturally.