Formulas & Equations
Learning Targets Formulas and Equations
- I can identify a compound as a pure substance made of two or more elements chemically combined in a fixed proportion.
- I can represent a compound by its empirical formula, molecular formula or structural formula.
- I can use the stock system to determine the oxidation states of metals that form multiple ions.
- I can use prefixes to determine the number of each element present in covalent compounds.
- I can identify the five most common types of chemical reactions as:
- Single replacement
- Double replacement
- I can determine the number of elements present in a reaction and show conservation.
- I can balance chemical reactions using coefficients.
- I can determine missing mass or missing element in a reaction using conservation of matter.